The Word That Can't Be Spoken

After reading One Word with our church small group, I had an idea of what I thought our family’s word for 2014 should be. But I was wrong. Dead wrong.

As Hubby sat across from me at the kitchen table, my jaw dropped when he announced our word. I knew I had to call our friends for an intervention. Hubby had lost his mind! (He's been married to me for twenty-four years so it was bound to happen.) As I continued to stare at him, mouth agape, he repeated, “Prosper.”

Are you kidding me? We had been swept away with prosperity teaching back in the early years of our marriage, and it’s a place I didn’t care to return to. The name it, claim it, believe it, receive it mentality had proven itself shallow and self-centered. I was speechless- utterly speechless- which is unfamiliar territory for me.

As I tried to orient myself to this new speechless land of disillusion, I heard a distant voice, “Did you hear me? It’s prosper.”

P-R-O-S-P-E-R. No, it can’t be! That’s the word that can’t be spoken! How can it be our One Word?

Hubby sat patiently, waiting for the word that can’t be spoken to sink in.

P-R-O-S-P-E-R   P-R-O-S-P-E-R   An obnoxious cheerleader was spelling out the word, pom poms shaking in my face. P-R-O-S-P-E-R  “Gooooo team!”

NO! I don’t want to be on this team! Materialistic. Greedy. Temporal. I abhor Team Prosperity. I want to be on Team Altruistic. I'm a social worker for goodness sakes. I can't change teams now!

As if reading my mind, Hubby said, “It’s not what you think. I don’t mean material prosperity. God is calling me to be intentional about prospering our marriage, prospering our relationships with our children and friends, prospering by becoming physically healthier and prospering spiritually as we deepen our faith.”

Thank God! The obnoxious cheerleader was silenced. Then, I heard a sweet whisper. I think it may have been my Father. Prosper. It was long season of drought, struggle and unanswered prayers. You can read some of my journey here. Waiting on Pearls

Now there is  light. I feel warmth. I am consumed by peace. I am prospering. There is a pearl.

In less than two weeks since the cheerleader was muted and my Father spoke clearly, I have been promoted to Program Director of Compassionate Care Hospice and I have signed a book contract.

But if you think that's why I'm prospering, you would be wrong. Dead wrong. I am prospering because I know that regardless of my circumstance, whether I am in a season of weeping or laughing, mourning or dancing, feast or famine, my God is still the same loving, faithful Father full of grace and wisdom. He knows just what each of  His children needs and gives it in abundance in His perfect timing. Living in His presence, savoring the peace only He can give, is true prosperity. And without that, none of the other things really matter.





11 comments:

  1. Excellent word - and prayerful for God's blessings in this your year of "prospering" as a family, a couple, and in each endeavor God holds for your journey. Sometimes the hardest journey is the one we think we don't want to be on - but it is proven over and over to be the best one - as God's blessings are IN the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, Lauretta. God's path for us, no matter how painful, always proves to be best. And I couldn't agree more that the process itself is what holds the best blessings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read about your book deal on Facebook and was so delighted for you! I'd missed your blogging and keeping up with you. Congratulations on your work promotion too! Since I began reading your blog posts, I've 'felt' a connection with you as we both worked with the dying. I'm looking forward to reading about you prospering this year.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie,
      You are so right. There is a special connection between us mid-wives for the dying. It is good to be back. I needed to prioritize some things and that required taking a break from blogging. :) Hope all is well with you.

      Delete
  4. Susan, what a beautiful post....God in His infinite wisdom knew the word he wanted for you and you accepted it with grace....I am so proud of you for getting your book published...I look forward to reading it...
    By the way, I too have missed you blogging...So glad you are back...
    Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy,
    I think we have always been kindred spirits since we first discovered each others blogs. I look forward to visiting your place soon. :)
    Warmest hugs right back at you,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear Susan....this is soooooo good! I had read it earlier but wanted to come back when i could read it again and leave a proper comment.....so true. Society has really misconstrued prosperity and you have defined it ever so clearly with wit and wisdom.
    Btw, I read it to hubby just now as we finish lunch as he used the word prosper in a conversation we were having so after waiting and listening:) I shared how this really goes along with something i read earlier today....anyhow I am rambling. Thank you for your comment on my blog earlier.
    I wish you a year of PROSPERITY, and please let us know when your books out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Such a testimony to feeling entrenched in wrong thinking and believing only to find that God had another plan all along. I, too, had fallen into that 'prosperity gospel' stuff way back when and found myself thinking about that meaning of "prosper" as you did while reading your post. God has to use a backhoe sometimes to show us His meaning for a word, but then He begins to change our lives, doesn't He?
    I am so grateful that you came by Being Woven for it has been too long since I visited you, Susan. Congratulations on your new position and continuing to work in hospice. I will forever be grateful for hospice itself and for the wonderful care and intervention that occurred for my Mama in her last months. It will be a year on January 30 that I lost her and yet I think she is still here some days and I just forget (I say that rather timidly).
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. " I am prospering because I know that regardless of my circumstance, whether I am in a season of weeping or laughing, mourning or dancing, feast or famine, my God is still the same loving, faithful Father full of grace and wisdom."

    Thank you for this beautiful look at what prospering for the Lord really means! What beautiful grace. Thanks for linking up with Inspire Me Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your writing. I think I've always loved your writing. I've missed your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read about your book deal on Facebook and was so delighted for you! I'd missed your blogging and keeping up with you. Congratulations on your work promotion too! Since I began reading your blog posts, I've 'felt' a connection with you as we both worked with the dying. I'm looking forward to reading about you prospering this year.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete